Here are 10 Interesting Facts about our Beautiful Earth:
1. On average, the Atlantic Ocean is the saltiest of Earths major oceans.
2. The earth is not perfectly round, it is slightly flattened at the north and south pole.
3. The Great Barrier Reef in Australia is the largest living structure in the world.
4. Hawaii is moving towards Japan at the speed of 10cm a year. This is because they are on different tectonic plates.
5. Antarctica contains about 70% of Earths fresh water and 90% of its ice.
6. Seventy percent of the planet is covered in ocean but humans have only explored five percent of it.
7. Standing on the equator you would be spinning around Earth’s center at 1000 miles per hour. At the poles, however, you would be standing still (and turning in a circle)
8. Earth moves through space at 67,000 miles per hour.
9. The longest mountain range on Earth is actually underwater. It is called the mid ocean ridge system. It stretches for 80,000 km around the world and is nearly 20 times longer than the longest range on the surface, the Andes mountains – and the whole thing is completely volcanic.
10. The largest single living thing (apart from Reefs constructed of multiple polyps) was mushroom fungus in Oregon that grew 2,200 acres.
Here are some tips to help preserve our Earth so we may pass it on to younger generations:
1. Pay attention to how you use water. Turn off the water when you brush your teeth. Wash your clothes in cold water when you can.
2. Recycle. If an office building of 7,000 workers recycled all of its office paper waste, it would be the equivalent of taking almost 400 cars off the road.
3. Leave your car at home two days a week, you’ll reduce green house emissions by an average of 1,590 pounds per year.
4. Switch out regular light bulbs for energy efficient bulbs.
5. Keep Fighting. Research different methods that you can do to “green” your lifestyle, so that you may be a better human being for this earth!