Protect Yourself from Mold


Protect Yourself from Mold

Mold may be present after an extended amount time of standing water in a home or building. Be alert for mold when returning to a home or building after a flood. Mold may be a health risk for you and your family.

People with health complications, such as, asthma, allergies, or breathing conditions may be more sensitive to mold.  People sensitive to mold may experience stuffy nose, irritated eyes, wheezing, or skin irritation. Mold exposure to people with a weakened immune system or lung condition, such as, chronic lung disease, may develop infections in their lungs. Contact your doctor or health care provider when showing any symptoms to mold exposure.

Look and Smell for Mold

Look for discoloration in the walls or ceilings. Sometimes there is growth on the mold. Look for water damage.

Smell for a musty odor, foul stench, or earthy smell.

Prevent Mold Growth

  • Remove all porous items that have been wet for over 48 hours and that cannot be thoroughly cleaned and dried.
  • To prevent, clean wet items with detergent and water.

If there is mold growth in your home, you should clean up the mold and fix any water problems, such as leaks in roofs, walls, or plumbing. Control the moisture before it becomes problematic- it is vital.

For tips on safely cleaning mold in your home, please see: EPA’s tips on cleaning mold.