SCISSOR LIFT SAFETY & OPERATING PROCEDURES
All lift vehicles are should rope off the area in which they are working using either YELLOW caution ribbon or RED danger tape, anytime there is danger that something could be dropped on a person below.
A Yellow caution ribbon is used to make people aware that there is potential for injury and to take caution. A person may enter the caution zone with your permission. Red DANGER tape is used to ensure no one is to enter the hazardous area where there is greater potential for injury. No one should enter a Danger area once it is roped off.
Operators will display a professional attitude and will demonstrate the following skills:
- Respect for personal safety.
- Regard for safety of others.
- Obey procedures at all times.
- Demonstrate excellent work habits, efficiency and reliability.
- Demonstrate respect for facilities and property.
It is wise to consider safety as top priority in any job.
General Instructions for Safe Operation:
- Any person operating the controls of the Scissor lift or occupying the platform must be familiar with these Safety and Operating Procedures.
- Electrocution Hazard: This machine is not insulated. Maintain safe clearances from electrical power lines and apparatus.
- You must allow for platform sway, rock or sag.
- This work platform does not provide protection from contact with a proximity to an electrically charged conductor.
The National Safety Council reminds us that most accidents are caused by the failure of some individuals to follow simple and fundamental safety rules and precautions, common sense dictates the use of protective clothing when working on or near machinery. Use appropriate safety devices to protect your eyes, ears, hands, feet and body. You as a careful is the best insurance against an accident. Therefore proper usage of this work platform is mandatory. The purpose of the Scissor Lift work platform: to transport and raise personnel and tools to overhead work areas.
The following points must be remembered when operating a Scissor Lift:
- Do not drive near drop-offs, holes, or loading docks.
- Do not raise platform on slope or drive onto slope when elevated.
- Do not raise platform on uneven or soft surfaces.
- Do not drive onto uneven or soft surfaces when elevated.
- Do not use without guardrails, mid rails, chain, or bar in place.
- Do not raise platform in windy or gusty conditions.
- Do not exceed rated load.
- Do not use if working platform is not working properly or if any part is damaged, worn or missing.
- Do not use near moving vehicles or cranes.
- Do not stand or sit on guardrails.
- Do not use under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Do not override safety devices.
- Do not raise platform while machine is on a truck, forklift, or other device or vehicle.
- Do not use ladder, scaffolding, or other devices to increase size or working height of platform.
- Do not use with damaged tires.
- Do not attach ropes or chains to guardrails or use as a crane.
- Do not use with tires that are not per manufacturers, specifications.
- When using the Scissor Lift above or near an overhead hoist travel way, the overhead hoist must be locked out. If you are working near the orange duct-o-bars by the hoist travel rail, the main switch for the duct-o-bars must be locked out and checked for power by an electrician.
- FAILURE TO AVOID THE ABOVE HAZARDS MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY!
Procedures for Operation
- Check for obstacles around the work platform and in the path of travel such as holes, drop offs, debris, ditches and soft fill.
- Check for overhead clearances.
START AND OPERATION. Pull out the emergency stop button on the control panel.
- Select “platform” with off/platform/base select key switch.
- Enter the platform.
- Pull out the emergency stop button on the platform control panel.
- Proceed with job using the required buttons, levers and controller located on the operator console.
- The Scissor Lift is equipped with a high and low range for travel. It can be used in high range in open travel ways, but should be used in low range in tight areas.
- If painting is being done while on the Scissor Lift, cover up the platform, handrails and controls to minimize overspray or splashing on the Scissor Lift.
- Fully lower the platform.
- Push the emergency stop buttons.
- On the operator console.
- On the base control.
- Turn the base key switch to the off position.
- If you are finished with the Scissor Lift, clear all tools, debris, etc., from the platform and plug the Scissor Lift in to recharge the battery.